Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bambi Book Layouts

For those of you who like the movie "Bambi", here is a real treat.
Years ago when I purchased these illustrations, Frank Thomas told me that they were done by him, Milt Kahl and Ollie. These supervising animators for the character of Bambi drew them with the idea in mind that they serve as visual guides for other illustrators who would do book illustrations. At that time production of the movie was finished.
I remembered right away that I used to own one of those Bambi books when I was a kid. Recently I found another copy of it on Ebay. 
The final book illustrations are quite nice......but the animators' roughs are just incredible. Charming, elegant and full of life.
It's a little hard to say who drew which sketch, since they helped each other out by drawing over the other one's layout.
But I am pretty sure that the first few are by Frank and the last ones by Milt.










Frank said he had a little bit of trouble with the staging of Bambi's mother in this
sketch. He felt her body looked too blocky and stiff. He said: "So I asked Milt for help, and within moments he came up with this beautiful, much simpler pose for the mother." But it's the way Frank remembered this episode, with a sort of "I hate him for that" expression on his face. Of course meant in good fun.







I heard from some people who find Bambi's story a bit slow, personally I think it's one of the most beautiful films ever made. To quote Richard Williams: "The way these cartoon deer are handled in animation with realism, believability and dignity is miraculous."

23 comments:

  1. It is a great film. I just love when we get to see the rough drawings. There is so much life to them. The colored illustrations are nice too. They feel very warm. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny story with Frank, I love Bambi. Some jaw dropper sketches, thanks again Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, Andreas! Awesome! I'm a big fan of the 9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great, great sketches. Always loved the 9.Thanks again for posting, Andreas! Going to Dinslaken today...hope to meet you there one day.:-) I always missed the chance. Bis bald!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bambi has been my favorite Disney film since I received it as a gift (VCR TAPE!) in the late 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how simply, easily and beautifully Milt Kahl reworked Bambi's mother in that one drawing. Grace and charm. Thank you for posting these great drawings from a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog has become one of THE treasure troves! Years before I finally had the chance to see the movie my grandmother read this book to me and ever since these are the illustrations that come to mind when I think of "Bambi". Now I have to track down what happened to that book...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful. I still can't believe how perfectly Bambi is captured as a little fawn. Deer are so elegant, delicate, and graceful, but in a slightly awkward, spunky way.

    And I haven't thanked you yet for all these frequent posts! It's great to find such an insightful new post every few days :D So thanks SOOOOO much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's my top 1 Disney movie. Deep, alive, with heart... it's a whole life in just an hour and a half.

    Thanks, those are beautifull sketches indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful drawings indeed Andreas. I just love your blog, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great drawings andreas!! i'm big fan of ur blog..

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really interesting to read your and Richard Williams' opinion on the animation in Bambi.

    Do you keep contact with other animators such as Mr. Williams, Mr. Deja? (I believe you worked with Williams at his London studio on Who Framed Roger Rabbit, did you not?)

    Julian

    ReplyDelete
  13. speaking of Richard, will we see some of his stuff on this blog, I'm also a great fan of his work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful drawings. I must learn to draw like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I note that in the final illustration with Bambi and the rabbits at his feet that the composition has strengthened the negative space which refines the focus and helps us move from Bambi around to each rabbit and back to Bambi again. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry, one more observation.
    I also note the change of emphasis which goes from Bambi lifting his leg (so as not to step on the rabbit) to looking ahead. The downside of this change is that in the final illustration there is less of a need (reason?) for the lifted leg. By moving the rabbit out of the way Bambi's focus (and therefore eyes) had to be moved to another place. It works, but a bit awkard in light of the focus of the original sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read through this post shortly after watching "Jungle Book 2" on TV. What do you think of "Bambi 2" and the other more recent "higher quality" sequels?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Massimiliano,
    I will post more Bambi artwork in the near future.

    Julian,
    yes, I did work with Dick Williams on Roger Rabbit in London. One of the best years of my life, I learned so much.
    Unfortunately we have not kept in touch, once Dick focuses on new project, his attention is right there.

    Monica,
    I actually worked on "Bambi 2", and it was a real challenge. I thought the story was beautiful, and we did our best with the limited time and budget we had.

    ReplyDelete
  19. absolutely beautiful... I dunno how they picked the final one, they're all so stunning. :) What beautiful lines..
    Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm still wondering about these blue pencil drawings, the color looks very thick like a prismacolor pencil, I know you can erase prismacolor pencils but you can erase a little with the color erase. I'm just wondering what they used. Whats interesting I don't know if anybody knows, but I think some of the same animators from London that worked on Roger Rabbit also worked on Fivel goes west.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I mean I know you can't erase prismacolor pencils that's what I mean, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The one where hes fallen on the tree is amazing ! such weight

    ReplyDelete